Saturday, September 29, 2012

Reflections...

It's been a busy month...

Wait...no...it's been a busy YEAR.


A year full of awesomeness the likes of which I never could have imagined on Jan. 1, 2012.

But here I am...September 29, 2012...and so much has happened.

I rarely take time to look back, but now I wanted to reflect a bit.  I've covered most of it in my blog so I won't bore you...but quick synopsis...

Figuring out issues with amazing little boy, finally following up on years of health issues and starting to tackle them, attempted an ultramarathon, deployed husband came home, baby girl started kindergarten, little boy started 3rd grade, hubby got a well deserved selection to chief petty officer, hubby went through 6 weeks of h*ll to be a Chief, started a food blog to track my successes and failures in my gluten free/ mostly vegan cooking life, and I was selected to the U.S. Navy Reserve Nurse Corps and commissioned as an Ensign.

I may have missed a few milestones...but those ones stood out for me.

And if you missed that last one...yes, it's true...I've gone and done it.  I'm in the Navy now! 

 


It's something I've always dreamed of doing...and I was further inspired by this song and video (yes I know it's for the National Guard but it's very applicable...



And when you are married to a man who loves the Navy almost as much as he loves his country it's easy to be inspired to do great things...

It will be a while before I start...but the very long process has finally been completed (minus some more paperwork...duh)...and I'll be off to bootcamp fork and knife school before I know it!

Tomorrow is the last tri of the season...Mission Bay.  It was my very first triathlon 5 years ago and as I toe the line float in the freezing cold water sans wetsuit to save some precious seconds...I'll remember how far I've come....

From the 24 year old girl who had no clue what she was doing...barely making it through her first tri...making so many mistakes...consuming mass quantities of calories in a short sprint race...barely jogging through the run...dying on the bike...feeling awful about herself...

To now...confident young woman who knows this sport and knows her body better then she ever has...knows her nutrition like the back of her hand...loves the run...flys through the bike faster then she ever imagined she'd be able to (still not as fast as the awesome women she races...but fast enough to be proud)...racing for a place in the top five...or even top 10...or really just faster then the last time...cause that's really all that matters...steady progress forward.

Relentess forward motion.


Learning from past mistakes.


Forgiving errors.

 

Planning for bumps in the road (proverbial ones or literal ones!).

 

Enjoying every, single, blessed moment....

 

Being grateful that she has the ability every day to go out and do it...to swim...to bike...to run...

 

And now...the ability to serve...


Serve her patients...and serve her country.


It's as American as gluten free/vegan apple pie (cheezy, I know)...or possibly as American as a hamburger on the grill...wait I don't eat hamburgers...what's a girl to do? 

Make one that fits the bill!  Most of the store bought ones are loaded with wheat and therefore off the table for me...and some others I've tasted taste like...well...grass...fresh cut grass...hmmmm...

So I made one instead...infused with a bit of Thai flavor (maybe I'll be heading to Thailand with the USNS Mercy or Comfort...who knows).  This burger kicks some serious boo-tay...not that I'm biased. 


Thai Veggie Burgers

by Jaclyn Trosper
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes


Ingredients (8 patties)
  • 1 C quinoa (I used red but any kind will do)
  • 2 C water
  • 2 cubes vegan "chicken" bouillon
  • 2 C cooked lentils
  • 3 gloves garlic, pressed
  • 1 tsp red curry paste
  • 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 C soy tempeh, crumbled
  • 1 tsp miso paste
  • 1/4 tsp tumeric
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp curry
  • 1 tbsp tamari (or other gluten free soy sauce alternative such as Bragg's)
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch (needed to help bind the patties...trust me, they fall apart without it!)
Instructions
Cook quinoa, water, and bouillon in a rice cooker or according to package directions on stovetop (though a rice cooker is like $10 and soooo worth it!). Meanwhile combine all other ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, mashing as you go. Once quinoa is cooked mix into bowl with all ingredients. Mix and form into patties. Place in pre greased pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side until slightly browned. Remove from pan and serve regular style or over a bed of veggies if you are so inclined...both taste great!
Powered by Recipage

Enjoy your day...enjoy your weekend...

Enjoy life...cause it's short...and precious.


Until next post...

XOXO

 

Jackie

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations sweetie...on everything! This is one inspiring post! It's is SO great to be able to look back on our younger selves...to reflect on the mistakes we've made, but to know, that without them we have grown into the stronger and more confident women that we are today. I feel like every year that goes by helps me get more in touch with myself...my likes and dislikes, what I'm passionate about, and what just isn't worth the time. I love your positive outlook and how you highlighted some of the milestones that have gotten you to where you are today! All that being said, I feel I have to acknowledge that AWESOME segue into the burger recipe! (standing ovation, m'dear)! And I can't believe how incredibly easy the recipe is! I never thought about adding cornstarch to veggie burgers to help as a binder...GENIUS! These are definitely on the "to make NOW" list...you know, as opposed to all those other random pins/bookmarks/post its I have! ;)

    Hope you are having a great night with the fam! And congratulations again girlie!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Heather! I agree...I think reflection is a huge part of overall growth, without it we become stagnant. And thanks...I liked my transition into the recipe too! Lol! Tell me when you make them! Can't wait to hear!

      Delete