Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My First WIAW!!

What is a WIAW you ask??

Well...WIAW means "What I Ate Wednesday"

I know, I know...now you are asking..."Why the heck do I care what she ate on Wednesday?  I don't even pay attention to what I eat on Wednesday!"

That's the point!!

Jenn over at Peas and Crayons created this amazing idea as a way to hold herself accountable for what she ate...and it just snowballed!


 
 
She even themes each month!  This month is about falling into good habits (get it...it's fall???  Smart girl, eh?)

But really, go to any great food blog (hello...I have a ton of links for you here!) and you will see a WIAW post somewhere. 

I want in!

I want to share my food with the world (duh...I'm sure you know that by now).

But I want to do it in this real, honest way...not the sugar coated recipe that's been tried a million times way...

Nope, the way I eat...sometimes really well and all veggie/crunchy/vegan.

Sometimes not so well...kinda veggie...not so crunchy...so not vegan.

I'm human, I'm not perfect...I'm a mom, wife, nurse...geez, I'm just plain busy and I struggle with my diet too.  I want to share that with you all.  I want other busy moms, wives, nurses, etc to be inspired to keep trying despite that darn doughnut setting you back for breakfast.  There is always another meal...another chance to eat well...to fuel your body correctly.

So here it goes...

First, I should express the habit I wish to fall back into is regular training...I have goals and I have to work hard (and regularly) to reach them...so this fall I recommit to this goal...alright...ONTO THE FOOD!

My Wednesday in pictures (and of course some words cause if you know me you know I don't stay quiet long!)




Started the day with my favorite cup (full of awesome coffee) and my favorite creamer...what better way is there to start??


Almost had a rice cooker explosion!  But all was well...it worked out fine in the end...

 

Yummy Aloha Oats with almond milk and blueberries...and some veggies...


 
 
Lunch was on the go after the gym.  Bento box with almonds, cherries, grapes, blueberries, huumus, carrots, figs, and tomatoes.  And a smoothie with kale, spinach, banana, mango, peach, almond milk, and Life's Basics green vegan protein powder.  Great post workout meal (see, got the training in today)!


  
 
I may or may not have snacked on these little goodies during my day...hey...the chips are Chilean, it's like a salute to my heritage!  I had to!
 
 
Dinner was amazing (see for yourself with the following recipe)...vegan mexican bowls with cashew sour cream (though I added more cashews then this recipe says), daiya cheese, and guacamole.

 
I cheated and made it the easy way with premade lentils and rice from Trader Joes.  I really see this recipe as an easy weeknight meal that is hearty and filling but quick to fix in a time crunch...but if you aren't crunched for time you could easily make that all from scratch as well (though not gonna lie, premade frozen brown rice is my friend!).

To top it all off I made a batch of these (using vegan butter and applesauce instead of eggs)....


And then topped them with So Delicious coconut vanilla bean ice cream...hello vegan ice cream sandwiches!


And there you have it!  My first WIAW!!  Hope you enjoyed it...or at least got some ideas...until next time :)

Oh yeah...here's that recipe!

 
 

Vegan Mexican Bowls

by Jaclyn Trosper
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min


Ingredients (Serves 5)
  • For the lentil "meat":
  • 1 package lentils (or approx 3 cups cooked lentils according to directions on dry lentil bag)
  • 2 red peppers diced (any color is fine)
  • 1/2 large yellow onion diced
  • 2 cloves garlic diced finely
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt (I used sea salt)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • For the rice:
  • 3 packages frozen brown rice (or approx 2 cups dry brown rice cooked according to directions)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • Vegan sour cream (I made one with cashews but you can buy this in stores as well)
  • Guacamole (I made my own but again you can buy this in the store)
  • Salsa (I bought this from the store)
  • Cilantro to taste (I sprinkled it in the bowl)
  • Daiya cheese
Instructions
For the meat:
Heat oil in a large skillet. Place peppers and onions in pan and saute until onions are clear. Add lentils and mash gently with a fork or potato masher. Add cumin and salt. Mix together and warm through, set aside.
For the rice:
In a saucepan mix cooked rice with oil, salt, and cumin. Cook until warmed through.
To assemble bowls place rice on the bottom, put "meat" mixture on the top of rice. The rest of the toppings are to taste (I used all of them for my bowl!).
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment